Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.
Se Habla Español Nous Parlons Français
Call 713-574-7952 or 888-572-6059

What happens if I don't pay my child support?

Custodial parents in Texas and across the country depend on child support payments to help with the costs of raising a child. When the non-custodial parent does not make those payments, not only does this hurt the child, it also makes the non-custodial parent at risk for enforcement action from the state of Texas.

If child support payments are not made as ordered by the court, there are several enforcement actions that may be taken.

-- Income withholding: The state may require employers to withhold wages and send them to the Texas Child Support Division.

-- Liens may be filed against the noncustodial parent's assets.

-- Intercepting lottery winnings, federal income tax returns or other money that the noncustodial parent has coming in from federal or state sources.

-- Suspension of professional licenses, fishing and hunting licenses and even a noncustodial parent's driver's license.

-- A judge may also sentence a non-custodial parent in arrears on his or her child support to jail.

There are many instances in which a noncustodial parent is simply unable to make his or her child support payments. This might occur due to a job layoff or serious illness or injury. In cases such as these, the noncustodial parent may want to file for a modification of child support. Unfortunately, this will not usually absolve the noncustodial parent of payments that are in arrears, but it may lower the payments to a more manageable amount until the person's financial situation improves.

If filing a modification of child support is needed, an experienced family law attorney can provide more information.

Source: Attorney General of Texas, "Frequently Asked Questions" Dec. 20, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Client Testimonials

  1. Laura Dale the best Family Law attorney I have ever met... Posted by John...Listens, takes your calls, tells you the truth (even when it may not be what you want to hear)... Read More

  2. The Best...Posted by a Child Custody client... Laura Dale handled my international child custody and divorce matter. I am an attorney in Houston and was referred to her... Read More

  3. A Meticulous, Knowledgeable, Attorney with Heart...Posted by a Child Custody client... Laura was not the first attorney that my husband and I interviewed for an extremely complex... Read More

  4. Top Notch, Hands Down - The Best...Posted by Tammi, a Child Custody client... Laura Dale has been absolutely the best attorney I could have found for my difficult child custody... Read More

Contact Our Experienced Team Today | Se habla español | Nous parlons français

Due to the experience our lawyers have in many specialized areas, you can rely on us to put together the right team to handle your case, even if it centers on complex issues such as international family law, business valuation or bankruptcy. Contact us today to make an appointment to discuss your needs with a knowledgeable lawyer.

Login to Client Portal

Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.
1800 Saint James Place
Suite 620
Houston, TX 77056

Toll Free: 888-572-6059
Phone: 713-574-7952
Fax: 713-600-1718
Houston Law Office Map