PLEASE NOTE: We are still open and operational! To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options. click here for Covid 19 updates
Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.

How can I get custody of my grandkids in Texas?

In many families, the grandparents hold a very unique and special role. However, in other families, rifts between a child's parents and grandparents can cause the grandparents to be left out of the child's life. In other cases, the grandparents may be raising their grandkids because of a parent's incarceration, being declared unfit as a parent or a parent's death.

In Texas, grandparents must petition the court for custody by filing a lawsuit. There are some requirements that must be met before such a lawsuit can be filed. These include:

-- The parents agree that the grandparents are whom the child should live with.

-- The grandparents can prove the child is suffering abuse or neglect at the hands of the parents.

-- The grandparent is already the child's guardian, per an order by the court.

-- The grandparents have had the child living with them for six months.

There are instances when another individual has already filed a lawsuit seeking custody of the child. In such cases, the grandparents will need to file "to intervene" in the case. The grandparents must prove to the court that their grandchild is being abused or neglected by the person who wants custody. The grandparents also must have had quite a bit of contact with their grandchild in the past.

Remember, the court will always consider what is in the best interests of the child when making a ruling. The court usually believes a child is better off when raised by his or her parents. In addition, the court understands that no parent is perfect. Therefore, a grandparent must prove to the court that the child is being harmed by the parent in order to stand a chance at getting custody. An attorney experienced in Texas family law can be a great resource for grandparents who want to seek custody of their grandchildren.

Source: TexasLawHelp.Org, "Grandparents' Rights" accessed Mar. 18, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Board Certified
  • IAFL
  • Super Lawyers 2019
  • Best Lawyers
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Best Law Firms Badge
  • Laura Dale
  • Texas Bar Today Top Ten Badge

Contact Our Experienced Team Today

Se Habla Español | Nous Parlons Français

Due to the experience our lawyers have in many specialized areas, you can rely on us to put together the right team to handle your case, even if it centers on complex issues such as international family law, business valuation or bankruptcy. Contact us today to make an appointment to discuss your needs with a knowledgeable lawyer.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.
email us for a response

1800 Saint James Place
Suite 620
Houston, TX 77056

Phone: 713-574-7952
Fax: 713-600-1718
Houston Law Office Map

Review Us