PLEASE NOTE: We are still open and operational! To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options. click here for Covid 19 updates
Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.

What happens when an ex-spouse fails to pay spousal support?

Many men and women come to rely on the spousal support payments they receive from their exes. What happens, though, when that payment is not received or worse, when several payments are received?

For those whose spousal support order was issued by a Texas court, the court has the authority to withhold income from the paying spouse's disposable income. The court also has the authority to do the same if there was an agreement between the two parties; however, the amount withheld cannot exceed the amount the court could have ordered if an agreement was not reached.

At Laura Dale & Associates, P.C., we understand how difficult it can be for both parties during a divorce. We also know that circumstances change after a divorce, especially where the ability to pay or the need for spousal support is concerned. We help those who haven't received the amount of court-ordered support that is due by filing the necessary motions with the court. The court may order the other party's wages garnished, probation, jail time or other penalties.

Our clients also include those who have had a change in financial circumstances, such as a job layoff, that affect their ability to pay spousal maintenance. We can file a modification of spousal support. This also can be done if the receiving spouse has had a change in his or her financial circumstances where spousal support would not be needed or at least, not as much would be needed.

We invite you to visit our webpage on spousal support to learn more about the options that are available.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Board Certified
  • IAFL
  • Super Lawyers 2019
  • Best Lawyers
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Best Law Firms Badge
  • Laura Dale
  • Texas Bar Today Top Ten Badge

Contact Our Experienced Team Today

Se Habla Español | Nous Parlons Français

Due to the experience our lawyers have in many specialized areas, you can rely on us to put together the right team to handle your case, even if it centers on complex issues such as international family law, business valuation or bankruptcy. Contact us today to make an appointment to discuss your needs with a knowledgeable lawyer.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.
email us for a response

1800 Saint James Place
Suite 620
Houston, TX 77056

Phone: 713-574-7952
Fax: 713-600-1718
Houston Law Office Map

Review Us