Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.
Se Habla Español Nous Parlons Français
Call 713-574-7952 or 888-572-6059

When are parental rights terminated?

The termination of parental rights by a court is something that is not taken lightly. This will cut the legal ties between the parent and the child, but unfortunately, emotional ties are not so easily severed. There are numerous instances when a Texas court may decide to terminate the parental-child relationships. Here are a few of them:

-- The parent abandoned the child voluntarily and stated his or her intent not to return.

-- The parent knowingly placed or allowed the child to stay in conditions that endanger the emotional or physical well-being of the child.

-- The parent knowingly refused to enroll the child in school as required.

-- The parent received a conviction or was put on community supervision for the serious injury or death of a child. The criminal charges might include murder, manslaughter, sexual assault, aggravated assault, possession of child pornography or compelling prostitution.

-- While pregnant, the mother used a controlled substance or alcohol, resulting in the child's addiction to the controlled substance or alcohol.

-- The father's rights may be terminated if his location or identity is not known.

-- The parent has an emotional or mental illness that makes him or her unable to provide for the mental, emotional and physical needs of the child.

In many cases, the grandparents may seek custody of their grandchildren. One way to do this is to prove that the children's mother, father or both are not providing the appropriate care of the child.

As you can see, there are many reasons for terminating the parental-child relationship. The court will always rule in what the judge believes is in the best interests of the child. If you are a parent that could lose your parental rights, it's important that you are represented in court by a legal professional. This way, your rights can be protected and you can present your side of the case.

Source: Texas Statutes, "Sec. 161.001. Involuntary Termination of Parent-Child Relationship," accessed Aug. 05, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Client Testimonials

  1. Laura Dale the best Family Law attorney I have ever met... Posted by John...Listens, takes your calls, tells you the truth (even when it may not be what you want to hear)... Read More

  2. The Best...Posted by a Child Custody client... Laura Dale handled my international child custody and divorce matter. I am an attorney in Houston and was referred to her... Read More

  3. A Meticulous, Knowledgeable, Attorney with Heart...Posted by a Child Custody client... Laura was not the first attorney that my husband and I interviewed for an extremely complex... Read More

  4. Top Notch, Hands Down - The Best...Posted by Tammi, a Child Custody client... Laura Dale has been absolutely the best attorney I could have found for my difficult child custody... Read More

Contact Our Experienced Team Today | Se habla español | Nous parlons français

Due to the experience our lawyers have in many specialized areas, you can rely on us to put together the right team to handle your case, even if it centers on complex issues such as international family law, business valuation or bankruptcy. Contact us today to make an appointment to discuss your needs with a knowledgeable lawyer.

Login to Client Portal

Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.
1800 Saint James Place
Suite 620
Houston, TX 77056

Toll Free: 888-572-6059
Phone: 713-574-7952
Fax: 713-600-1718
Houston Law Office Map