PLEASE NOTE: We are still open and operational! To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options. click here for Covid 19 updates
Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.

How do I change my name?

Changing your name, either after a marriage or after a divorce, has become a bit of a hot-button issue in our society as of late. While it has been traditional for women to take on their husbands' surnames after marriage, there has been a cultural shift in the last couple of decades. Now, many women choose to retain their own surnames after marriage, and in some cases, the partners choose to both change their names to a hyphenated combination.

Changing your name after a divorce is no less controversial, and you're likely to get a different opinion from each person you talk to. While there may be more pressure in certain areas or families for a woman to return to her maiden name after a divorce, there are some considerations to keep in mind.

If you changed your name after marriage, you already know that it can take considerable time and effort. You usually have to go to the local Social Security Administration office in person to get your name legally changed there, and then you can take your new Social Security card and marriage and divorce documents to get a new state ID. Once you have a Social Security card and an ID with the updated name, you'll need to go through and update your name with the post office, all of your banking and lending institutions, employer and any other applicable state and federal agencies.

If the marriage resulted in children, you may want to consider if you would like to retain your married name so that it is the same as your children to avoid confusion at school or day care. However, with divorced or never married parents becoming more common in society, this is less of an issue than in past decades.

Source: FindLaw, "Changing Your Name after Marriage," accessed Oct. 01, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Board Certified
  • IAFL
  • Super Lawyers 2019
  • Best Lawyers
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Best Law Firms Badge
  • Laura Dale
  • Texas Bar Today Top Ten Badge

Contact Our Experienced Team Today

Se Habla Español | Nous Parlons Français

Due to the experience our lawyers have in many specialized areas, you can rely on us to put together the right team to handle your case, even if it centers on complex issues such as international family law, business valuation or bankruptcy. Contact us today to make an appointment to discuss your needs with a knowledgeable lawyer.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.
email us for a response

1800 Saint James Place
Suite 620
Houston, TX 77056

Phone: 713-574-7952
Fax: 713-600-1718
Houston Law Office Map

Review Us