PLEASE NOTE: We are still open and operational! To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options. click here for Covid 19 updates
Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.

What you should know about enforcing visitation in Texas

When it comes to visitation after a divorce or separation, your hope is likely that everything will go according to the visitation agreement you have with your child's other parent. Unfortunately, it doesn't always turn out that way. Do you have recourse when visitation is no adhered to?

The answer is yes; however, there are some things that you can do to make the enforcement of visitation easier. A visitation enforcement kit can help you enforce the order that allows you to see your children even when the other parent won't follow it. This kit includes the forms and documents you need to show the court that the visitation order is not being followed. Some of the forms include:

-- Demand letter for visitation: This is used to remind the other parent what the legal consequences may be if he or she violates the court order.

-- Visitation journal: This is a place where you can keep track of your attempts at visitation.

-- Court at a glance: This document outlines what you need to do to file your case. There are seven steps, but you may already be using the services of a family law attorney.

So what actually counts in Texas as a denial of visitation. First, you must appear in person to pick up your children at the agreed upon location. This is even if the other parent has informed you that he or she won't be there. Write down what happens in the visitation journal so you have a record of the incident. If you brought a witness with you, be sure to record his or her name. If you have a receipt from a nearby convenience store close to the time you are supposed to pick up your children, put that in the journal, too. You may want to make an informational report about the incident with the local police department.

When visitation is not allowed, both the children and the other parent suffer. Visitation cannot be withheld because child support payments are behind, either. A family law attorney can provide additional information on your legal options.

Source: Texas Law Help, "Visitation Enforcement Kit," accessed Nov. 24, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Board Certified
  • IAFL
  • Super Lawyers 2019
  • Best Lawyers
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Best Law Firms Badge
  • Laura Dale
  • Texas Bar Today Top Ten Badge

Contact Our Experienced Team Today

Se Habla Español | Nous Parlons Français

Due to the experience our lawyers have in many specialized areas, you can rely on us to put together the right team to handle your case, even if it centers on complex issues such as international family law, business valuation or bankruptcy. Contact us today to make an appointment to discuss your needs with a knowledgeable lawyer.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.
email us for a response

1800 Saint James Place
Suite 620
Houston, TX 77056

Phone: 713-574-7952
Fax: 713-600-1718
Houston Law Office Map

Review Us