PLEASE NOTE: We are still open and operational! To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options. click here for Covid 19 updates
Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.

Dealing with contempt cases

While many people would like to think that once the divorce papers are signed and everything is finalized, they will never have to deal with the family courts again, this is often untrue, unfortunately. The reality is that many people find themselves back before the judge to deal with the other party's failure to uphold the terms of the court order. When this happens, it is referred to as a contempt of court hearing.

This is common in issues involving child custody or failure to pay child support, but it is also applicable to alimony and property division cases where one party has failed to turn over documents or assets. When this happens, the other party can file contempt, which brings the offending party's actions in front of the judge.

If you are the one filing contempt, it is very important to have an accurate understanding of the laws and specific terms of your court order. You will likely have to produce some kind of evidence or documentation to show that your ex is in contempt before the courts will take action. Conversely, if you are given a summons for a contempt hearing, it's critical to have experienced legal representation who can ensure you are aware of your options and the possible consequences of not complying with a court order.

At Laura Dale & Associates, we understand how important these types of case are. Whether you are trying to hold a noncompliant ex accountable or find yourself accused of not upholding the terms of your court order, we can help.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Board Certified
  • IAFL
  • Super Lawyers 2019
  • Best Lawyers
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Best Law Firms Badge
  • Laura Dale
  • Texas Bar Today Top Ten Badge

Contact Our Experienced Team Today

Se Habla Español | Nous Parlons Français

Due to the experience our lawyers have in many specialized areas, you can rely on us to put together the right team to handle your case, even if it centers on complex issues such as international family law, business valuation or bankruptcy. Contact us today to make an appointment to discuss your needs with a knowledgeable lawyer.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.
email us for a response

1800 Saint James Place
Suite 620
Houston, TX 77056

Phone: 713-574-7952
Fax: 713-600-1718
Houston Law Office Map

Review Us