Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.
Se Habla Español Nous Parlons Français
Call 713-574-7952 or 888-572-6059

How does child custody work when unmarried parents separate?

When parents separate, whether married or not, the best interest of the children will always be the most important factor when deciding on custody and visitation. Not all splits are amicable, which can make it difficult to come to an agreement. Getting along or finding a way to be civil with your ex, will be the best gift you could ever give your children. Don't put them in the middle of your relationship problems; it's not their fault you & your ex couldn't make it work.

If an agreement cannot be reached between both parents, it will become the courts responsibility to decide. The best interest of the children will be the courts primary focus.

The state of Texas refers to child custody as "conservatorship," and offers two types:

  • Sole managing conservatorship (SMC)
  • Joint managing conservatorship (JMC)

Sole managing conservatorship (SMC)

SMC means one parent has the legal right to make certain decisions on behalf of the children. Those rights include:

  • Choosing the primary residence
  • Making healthcare decisions
  • Consenting to medical treatment
  • Being their "in case of emergency" contact
  • Attending school activities
  • Receiving child support
  • Making decisions about education

Joint managing conservatorship (JMC)

JMC means both parents share the right to make decisions on behalf of the children. In this case, a judge will assign specific responsibilities to each parent. JMC does not mean both parents share equal custody. That decision will be made in a separate visitation schedule known as a standard possession order (SPO).

Why would one parent be rewarded SMC over the other?

There are many reasons a court might grant SMC to one parent over the other, some of which include:

  • One parent doesn't want JMC responsibilities
  • One parent has a history of alcohol or drug abuse
  • One parent has a history of domestic violence or neglect
  • One parent has been uninvolved or otherwise absent from the children's lives

How does visitation work and what is a standard protection order?

The state of Texas refers to visitation as a standard protection order (SPO). The SPO is a set schedule that determines each parent's time with their children. This order will decide exactly what days and times each parent is responsible to care for their children, including holidays. Parents are allowed to amend or make changes to the set schedule so long as they both agree to it. If they don't agree, they must follow the SPO.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Client Testimonials

  1. Laura Dale the best Family Law attorney I have ever met... Posted by John...Listens, takes your calls, tells you the truth (even when it may not be what you want to hear)... Read More

  2. The Best...Posted by a Child Custody client... Laura Dale handled my international child custody and divorce matter. I am an attorney in Houston and was referred to her... Read More

  3. A Meticulous, Knowledgeable, Attorney with Heart...Posted by a Child Custody client... Laura was not the first attorney that my husband and I interviewed for an extremely complex... Read More

  4. Top Notch, Hands Down - The Best...Posted by Tammi, a Child Custody client... Laura Dale has been absolutely the best attorney I could have found for my difficult child custody... Read More

Contact Our Experienced Team Today | Se habla español | Nous parlons français

Due to the experience our lawyers have in many specialized areas, you can rely on us to put together the right team to handle your case, even if it centers on complex issues such as international family law, business valuation or bankruptcy. Contact us today to make an appointment to discuss your needs with a knowledgeable lawyer.

Login to Client Portal

Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.
1800 Saint James Pl.
Suite 620
Houston, TX 77056

Toll Free: 888-572-6059
Phone: 713-574-7952
Fax: 713-600-1718
Houston Office Location

Review Us