PLEASE NOTE: We are still open and operational! To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options. click here for Covid 19 updates
Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.

Is your former spouse trying to turn your kids against you?

Parental Alienation Syndrome (PAS) is a term that refers to one parent's malicious and concentrated efforts to alienate the other parent from their children. Sadly, it's a common factor in many contentious divorce situations.

Like most responsible mothers and fathers, your main parenting priority in divorce is to protect your children's best interests. You understand that most children fare best in divorce when given ample opportunities to spend time with both of their parents.

Children whose divorcing parents are willing to cooperate and compromise as necessary in order to maintain active, healthy relationships with them set the tone for transitions to new, happy and productive lifestyles. When one parent is making that impossible for the other, all sorts of problems can arise, including mental stress and legal complications. If you know ahead of time what resources are available to help you, you can protect your rights and the best interests of your children.

Signs to alert you to parental alienation problems

It is necessary to keep a close eye on things if you think your spouse is acting underhandedly to try to turn your children against you. The following signs warrant your immediate attention:

  • If your kids keep calling to tell you they can't make their visit dates, it's cause for concern. If this happens, ask questions, such as what the exact reason is that they can't make it, and also when a good time would be to schedule a postponed visit.
  • Were you getting ready to go to your children's school concert, event or game when one of them called you to ask you to stay away? Alienating parents may use such tactics to separate the other parent from the kids during important activities and milestones.
  • If you question your child about the change in his or her demeanor, and he or she says the rejection was all his or her idea, not the other parent's, it may make you even more concerned.

You and your former spouse are not always going to see eye-to-eye when it comes to matters involving your children. Parenthood would not be much of a challenge if things were perfect all the time. However, no one has the right to keep you from your children or to try to turn them against you. If you think that's happening, you can take immediate action against it.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Board Certified
  • IAFL
  • Super Lawyers 2019
  • Best Lawyers
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Best Law Firms Badge
  • Laura Dale
  • Texas Bar Today Top Ten Badge

Contact Our Experienced Team Today

Se Habla Español | Nous Parlons Français

Due to the experience our lawyers have in many specialized areas, you can rely on us to put together the right team to handle your case, even if it centers on complex issues such as international family law, business valuation or bankruptcy. Contact us today to make an appointment to discuss your needs with a knowledgeable lawyer.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.
email us for a response

1800 Saint James Place
Suite 620
Houston, TX 77056

Phone: 713-574-7952
Fax: 713-600-1718
Houston Law Office Map

Review Us