PLEASE NOTE: We are still open and operational! To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options. click here for Covid 19 updates
Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.

When is it possible to change an existing child support order?

Whether you were married or not, when you separated from the other parent of your child or children, a Texas court may have established an amount of child support that you would pay each month based on your and the other parent's financial situations.

That order may have made sense at the time, but we all know things change. If your circumstances no longer allow you to meet your current child support obligations, you may be wondering whether the court would entertain a request to adjust the amount you pay.

Do you have a temporary problem?

Perhaps you don't necessarily need for your child support payments to change permanently. If you lost your job or suffered an injury that will only keep you away from work for a few months, it may be possible to reduce your obligation for a short time.

If you will take over the duties as the primary custodial parent on a temporary basis due to an emergency or other significant circumstance on the part of the other parent, you may be able to receive a temporary modification to the existing order.

Do your circumstances require a permanent change?

On the other hand, you may need to make a permanent change. If you become permanently disabled and can't work, or if you can no longer earn the income you could prior to an injury, the court may modify the order. An injury may not be the only reason why you must make a career change that lessens your income. It will be up to the court to determine whether your circumstances warrant a permanent change.

Of course, in some circumstances, the other parent may request an increase in child support if your income increases significantly. If you remarry, an increase may be requested since you would technically have another income for support. The key is that the change is significant. Even as the court considers modifying your child support obligation, it always keeps the best interests of your child in mind.

Changing your child support order

If possible, you may want to discuss any change you need with the other parent. You may be able to come to an agreement without going to court. If the two of you agree and the change does not jeopardize the best interests of your child, the court will more than likely approve it.

Blindsiding the other parent with court documents may not work in your favor. However, if the other parent does not agree to work with you, going to court may be your only option.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Board Certified
  • IAFL
  • Super Lawyers 2019
  • Best Lawyers
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Best Law Firms Badge
  • Laura Dale
  • Texas Bar Today Top Ten Badge

Contact Our Experienced Team Today

Se Habla Español | Nous Parlons Français

Due to the experience our lawyers have in many specialized areas, you can rely on us to put together the right team to handle your case, even if it centers on complex issues such as international family law, business valuation or bankruptcy. Contact us today to make an appointment to discuss your needs with a knowledgeable lawyer.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.
email us for a response

1800 Saint James Place
Suite 620
Houston, TX 77056

Phone: 713-574-7952
Fax: 713-600-1718
Houston Law Office Map

Review Us