PLEASE NOTE: We are still open and operational! To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options. click here for Covid 19 updates
Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.

International abduction: How to get your child back

When you got divorced, you may have believed that although your marriage was ending, your relationship with your former spouse would continue because you have a child together. For the most part, you may have thought you'd merely have to be civil, adhere to your court order and do your best to keep things amicable between you for the sake of your child or children.

You may never have imagined you'd be facing an international child abduction situation. In fact, you probably agreed to allow your ex to take your child to another country because you thought it would be an educational and adventurous experience for them. When the agreed-upon date for their return to the U.S. came and went and your child still was not back, you may have sensed that there was a serious problem. You'll be glad to know help is available to help you seek justice and protect your child.

Immediate steps you can take to seek your child's return

It's understandable that a post-divorce international child abduction would make you feel overwhelmed, helpless and afraid. It is important to know there are support networks in place to help parents rectify such situations. You should notify the following people as soon as possible to secure your child's safe return to the United States and to your custody:

  • Local authorities: While an international situation requires special measures that may be outside local law enforcement's realm, your local police may be able to expedite the process and point you in the right direction for assistance. They will do what they can to help.
  • Public officials: By informing the U.S. Ambassador to the country your child is in and other public officials, you may be able to tap into political resources that can affect the situation in your favor.
  • An experienced attorney: Having a personal legal advocate by your side can help alleviate stress and also keep you in the know regarding international child abduction laws and custody regulations that pertain to your particular situation. Under the circumstances, it would be best to reach out to someone who is well-versed on The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction.

Any post-divorce child abduction is an emergency situation; however, international disputes often require specialized knowledge and action due to differences in laws between countries, political issues and other factors. Your child's safety is of highest priority. Local authorities, U.S. government officials and family law advocates may be able to help you seek enforcement of your custody order and secure your child's safe return.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Board Certified
  • IAFL
  • Super Lawyers 2019
  • Best Lawyers
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Best Law Firms Badge
  • Laura Dale
  • Texas Bar Today Top Ten Badge

Contact Our Experienced Team Today

Se Habla Español | Nous Parlons Français

Due to the experience our lawyers have in many specialized areas, you can rely on us to put together the right team to handle your case, even if it centers on complex issues such as international family law, business valuation or bankruptcy. Contact us today to make an appointment to discuss your needs with a knowledgeable lawyer.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.
email us for a response

1800 Saint James Place
Suite 620
Houston, TX 77056

Phone: 713-574-7952
Fax: 713-600-1718
Houston Law Office Map

Review Us