Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.
Se Habla Español Nous Parlons Français
Call 713-574-7952 or 888-572-6059

I can't afford my child support payments. What should I do?

As a divorced parent, being away from your children can be difficult, even when it's just for a few days. You may make every effort to be involved in their lives, including taking advantage of your custody arrangements and making court-ordered support payments. But life can throw you curves sometimes.

An unpredictable event may be making it more difficult for you to comply with the court's orders for child support. If you have lost your job, suffered a medical emergency or experienced another financial setback, you may be wondering how you will cover your child support obligation. The good news is that you may be able to obtain a support modification that can offer some relief while you get back on your feet.

Taking steps to protect yourself

The other parent of your children may agree, verbally, to temporarily lower the amount of support you pay. However, without a court order, you may have significant legal exposure if your parenting partner changes his or her mind. Plus, any amount of support you fail to pay can accumulate as debt quickly. Bankruptcy does not discharge child support, so a filing will not provide relief if that is the road you choose to take.

In many cases, the better alternative is to take action as quickly as possible after you experience financial difficulties, including following these steps:

  • Learn as much as you can about child support laws in Texas.
  • Inform the other parent of your situation and try to negotiate a lower payment.
  • Continue to pay as much as you can and meet your monthly deadlines to avoid accumulating too much debt.
  • Keep careful documentation of your financial situation, the reasons for your inability to pay and your efforts to keep up with your obligations.
  • File a request with the court for modification of your court-ordered child support.

Getting the help you need

Having legal assistance during this process can prove beneficial, especially if the other parent is not willing to approve a change in your child support amount. An experienced family law attorney will know the relevant information and documentation you can present that will improve your chances of a successful petition for modification. A legal advisor will also know how to take advantage of the laws as they relate to your situation. It can help to have a strong advocate when you present your case to a judge.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Client Testimonials

  1. Laura Dale the best Family Law attorney I have ever met... Posted by John...Listens, takes your calls, tells you the truth (even when it may not be what you want to hear)... Read More

  2. The Best...Posted by a Child Custody client... Laura Dale handled my international child custody and divorce matter. I am an attorney in Houston and was referred to her... Read More

  3. A Meticulous, Knowledgeable, Attorney with Heart...Posted by a Child Custody client... Laura was not the first attorney that my husband and I interviewed for an extremely complex... Read More

  4. Top Notch, Hands Down - The Best...Posted by Tammi, a Child Custody client... Laura Dale has been absolutely the best attorney I could have found for my difficult child custody... Read More

Contact Our Experienced Team Today | Se habla español | Nous parlons français

Due to the experience our lawyers have in many specialized areas, you can rely on us to put together the right team to handle your case, even if it centers on complex issues such as international family law, business valuation or bankruptcy. Contact us today to make an appointment to discuss your needs with a knowledgeable lawyer.

Login to Client Portal

Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.
1800 Saint James Place
Suite 620
Houston, TX 77056

Toll Free: 888-572-6059
Phone: 713-574-7952
Fax: 713-600-1718
Houston Law Office Map