PLEASE NOTE: We are still open and operational! To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options. click here for Covid 19 updates
Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.

Can I ask the court to increase support payments for my child?

Raising a child is seldom cheap. Even if a child has perfect teeth and never gets sick, you will have the normal expenses such as buying clothes and shoes as your child grows. If your child develops an interest in sports, music or other forms of expression, you can plan on paying for equipment and lessons. Of course, as your child reaches the teen years, you will have other expenses that may break your budget.

Child support payments that the Texas court ordered may be helpful, but you may be feeling that the money does not stretch far enough to cover the necessities, not to mention those extras that make your child happy. However, if your circumstances or your ex's have changed since your original support order, you may be wondering if you can request a modification of that order.

Why might I seek a child support modification?

It is common for a supporting partner to request modifications when he or she experiences a financial setback. If your ex-partner asks the court to reduce his or her payment amount, it may be related to job loss, a medical emergency or another situation that makes it difficult to meet the obligations of the order. However, it is not unusual for a custodial parent to seek an adjustment to the amount he or she receives each month for any of these or other reasons:

  • You experience a financial hardship that makes it difficult to maintain the home where the child lives.
  • Your child has unexpected or ongoing medical expenses.
  • Your child requires educational services that would be an added cost to you.
  • You are struggling with an increase in the normal cost of items or services you provide for your child with support funds.
  • You learn that your ex-spouse has experienced a financial advantage, such as a raise, promotion or inheritance.

Your first step in seeking a modification is to obtain information about whether you are eligible. If your court order is fairly recent or you have obtained a modification within the past two years, you may have to wait before filing again.

You should also anticipate your ex-partner objecting to the request for more money, which may increase the challenge of obtaining a modification. You can gain more information about your eligibility and the process of filing for a modification with the Texas family court by reaching out to a family law attorney.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Board Certified
  • IAFL
  • Super Lawyers 2019
  • Best Lawyers
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Best Law Firms Badge
  • Laura Dale
  • Texas Bar Today Top Ten Badge

Contact Our Experienced Team Today

Se Habla Español | Nous Parlons Français

Due to the experience our lawyers have in many specialized areas, you can rely on us to put together the right team to handle your case, even if it centers on complex issues such as international family law, business valuation or bankruptcy. Contact us today to make an appointment to discuss your needs with a knowledgeable lawyer.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.
email us for a response

1800 Saint James Place
Suite 620
Houston, TX 77056

Phone: 713-574-7952
Fax: 713-600-1718
Houston Law Office Map

Review Us