Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.
Se Habla Español Nous Parlons Français
Call 713-574-7952 or 888-572-6059

Can I get alimony if we were not formally married?

Like many other Texas residents, you may have had a long-term relationship with someone without having been formally married. Some states recognize common law marriage, which can give couples certain legal protections during their relationship and after they split up. In common law marriage states, property division and other matters are treated much the same way as divorce among legally married people.

What about alimony, you may wonder? If you and your common law spouse were never married, are you entitled to spousal support after the relationship ends? First, it can help to understand the definition of a common law marriage. As FindLaw explains, Texas recognizes common law marriages when the following conditions have been met:

  • You and your partner agree to be married.
  • You both live (cohabitate) together as a married couple.
  • You tell others you are married and conduct your business as a married couple – for example, apply for loans as if you are legally married.

If you are in a common law marriage in Texas and decide to end your relationship, it is not as easy as simply parting ways. The end of your relationship is treated as a formal divorce. You will need to divide your marital property – assets and debts you acquired during the relationship, such as a home, bank account funds, retirement accounts and credit card debt. You or your spouse may also be eligible for spousal support according to Texas laws on alimony, which include the length of time you were in the relationship and your financial status.

Since common law marriage issues can be complex, this information is not meant to replace the advice of a lawyer.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Client Testimonials

  1. Laura Dale the best Family Law attorney I have ever met... Posted by John...Listens, takes your calls, tells you the truth (even when it may not be what you want to hear)... Read More

  2. The Best...Posted by a Child Custody client... Laura Dale handled my international child custody and divorce matter. I am an attorney in Houston and was referred to her... Read More

  3. A Meticulous, Knowledgeable, Attorney with Heart...Posted by a Child Custody client... Laura was not the first attorney that my husband and I interviewed for an extremely complex... Read More

  4. Top Notch, Hands Down - The Best...Posted by Tammi, a Child Custody client... Laura Dale has been absolutely the best attorney I could have found for my difficult child custody... Read More

Contact Our Experienced Team Today | Se habla español | Nous parlons français

Due to the experience our lawyers have in many specialized areas, you can rely on us to put together the right team to handle your case, even if it centers on complex issues such as international family law, business valuation or bankruptcy. Contact us today to make an appointment to discuss your needs with a knowledgeable lawyer.

Login to Client Portal

Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.
1800 Saint James Place
Suite 620
Houston, TX 77056

Toll Free: 888-572-6059
Phone: 713-574-7952
Fax: 713-600-1718
Houston Law Office Map