PLEASE NOTE: We are still open and operational! To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options. click here for Covid 19 updates
Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.

What happens to your spousal support when you meet someone new?

The spousal support that you receive following your divorce is important to your security. This is why you need to understand what can happen if you start living with someone.

Under Texas law, spousal support terminates when you remarry -- which you may already expect. However, the law also allows for support payments to cease when you "cohabit" with someone else romantically "in a permanent place of abode on a continuing basis." Exactly what that phrase means is somewhat open to interpretation. Therefore, you need to be cautious about your relationships until you are certain that you're prepared for your support payments to cease.

What sort of things can be used to show the court that you've taken up residence with a new romantic partner (or one has taken up residence with you)? How can the court tell the difference between, for example, a roommate who is just splitting the bills and a romantic partner? What's the difference between taking a romantic "staycation" at home with someone and "continuous" cohabiting?

Often it's a judgment call that gets left up to the court. However, be prepared for just about anything to be used against you that could potentially indicate you are in a relationship with someone else and that you are living together, such as:

  • Utility bills, vehicle registrations and mail that is addressed to you and your new partner at the same location
  • Joint bank accounts, a joint lease and similar financial ties between you and your alleged romantic partner
  • Photos or videos of you and your romantic partner in an embrace or video of your romantic partner coming home at night and leaving again in the morning

Protecting your spousal support rights can be important. If it is, make sure that you have a clear understanding of your legal options before you get involved with someone new.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Board Certified
  • IAFL
  • Super Lawyers 2019
  • Best Lawyers
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Best Law Firms Badge
  • Laura Dale
  • Texas Bar Today Top Ten Badge

Contact Our Experienced Team Today

Se Habla Español | Nous Parlons Français

Due to the experience our lawyers have in many specialized areas, you can rely on us to put together the right team to handle your case, even if it centers on complex issues such as international family law, business valuation or bankruptcy. Contact us today to make an appointment to discuss your needs with a knowledgeable lawyer.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.
email us for a response

1800 Saint James Place
Suite 620
Houston, TX 77056

Phone: 713-574-7952
Fax: 713-600-1718
Houston Law Office Map

Review Us