PLEASE NOTE: We are still open and operational! To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options. click here for Covid 19 updates
Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.

Are international child custody issues a concern for you?

Child custody matters can quickly become complicated. If you believe that your ex-spouse or soon-to-be ex-spouse may try to take your children out of the country or you are already facing international custody issues, you have a complex ordeal on your hands. Understandably, you want to do whatever you can to ensure that your parental rights are not violated and that the other parent does not unjustly keep your kids from you.

This type of scenario can deal with details and laws that go beyond just Texas state laws, but local laws can come into play as well. As a result, you may easily feel overwhelmed by the legalities involved, but fortunately, you do not have to try to navigate this anxiety-inducing situation alone.

What do you need to know?

One international treaty that could play a role in your case is the Hague Convention. This treaty applies in 96 countries around the world and works to prevent international abduction of children who are 16 years old or younger. The Hague Convention can play an important part in returning children who may have been removed from the country against a custody agreement. The terms of this treaty are complex, which is often necessary to ensure that such sensitive matters are handled appropriately.

Of course, local laws could also help your case. Though the Uniform Child Abduction Prevention Act does not apply in Texas, the state does have international parental abduction prevention laws. You may be able to utilize such protections to have your custody concerns addressed if you believe that the other parent may try to remove your children from the country.

What can you do?

One important step you can take during such an uncertain time is to stay in contact with your children. Keeping in contact could allow you to get a heads up if the other parent attempts to take the children. If they are already in another country, you can try to stay in touch as much as possible to ensure that your children know you care and are there for them.

International custody matters can cause an immeasurable amount of stress, which is why you undoubtedly want to have the right help. Fortunately, you can contact a family law attorney experienced with this type of custody matter and with the Hague Convention who could help you better understand your situation and options.


No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Board Certified
  • IAFL
  • Super Lawyers 2019
  • Best Lawyers
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Best Law Firms Badge
  • Laura Dale
  • Texas Bar Today Top Ten Badge

Contact Our Experienced Team Today

Se Habla Español | Nous Parlons Français

Due to the experience our lawyers have in many specialized areas, you can rely on us to put together the right team to handle your case, even if it centers on complex issues such as international family law, business valuation or bankruptcy. Contact us today to make an appointment to discuss your needs with a knowledgeable lawyer.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.
email us for a response

1800 Saint James Place
Suite 620
Houston, TX 77056

Phone: 713-574-7952
Fax: 713-600-1718
Houston Law Office Map

Review Us