PLEASE NOTE: We are still open and operational! To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options. click here for Covid 19 updates
Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.

Ready to email your ex-spouse about the kids? Read this first

When you and your co-parent don't get along, it can make communication very tricky -- and it's wise to be cautious about what you say.

Because ex-spouses often have a lot of conflicts, it's common to limit communication to emails, instant messages and texts. You still need to be careful, however, with what you write. Anything overtly hostile, threatening or inappropriate in a message may eventually find its way in to court -- and that can complicate your custody situation.

Tips for messaging your ex-spouse

To avoid problems, here are a few things you should keep in mind:

  1. Choose your battles carefully. You can't win every fight, so focus on the most important issues and let the rest slide.
  2. Talk about the issues, not your ex's character. If your ex-spouse isn't making certain that the kids are getting their homework done, for example, focus on why that's a problem -- not the fact that you think it's one more example of how your ex is a lazy, uninvolved and neglectful parent.
  3. Limit your conversation as much as possible. Ideally, you should keep every message brief, professional in tone and clear. State the problem, the proposed solution and express your thanks for their willingness to work with you for the children's benefit (even if you think they're not particularly accommodating).
  4. If your ex responds to messages with rude, hateful and accusatory messages of their own, do not fire back. Take the high road. Remain calm and focus on the issue that prompted the conversation. If you ever have to take those messages into court, you'll be glad you did.

What can you do if your ex-spouse has become an impossible co-parent?

If you ex won't work with you on any issues involving the kids and it's having a negative effect on their lives, it may be time to discuss a change in your parenting plan. An experienced attorney can help.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Board Certified
  • IAFL
  • Super Lawyers 2019
  • Best Lawyers
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Best Law Firms Badge
  • Laura Dale
  • Texas Bar Today Top Ten Badge

Contact Our Experienced Team Today

Se Habla Español | Nous Parlons Français

Due to the experience our lawyers have in many specialized areas, you can rely on us to put together the right team to handle your case, even if it centers on complex issues such as international family law, business valuation or bankruptcy. Contact us today to make an appointment to discuss your needs with a knowledgeable lawyer.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.
email us for a response

1800 Saint James Place
Suite 620
Houston, TX 77056

Phone: 713-574-7952
Fax: 713-600-1718
Houston Law Office Map

Review Us