Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.
Se Habla Español Nous Parlons Français
Call 713-574-7952 or 888-572-6059

What happens when my ex moves out of state?

Divorces or separations after a long-term relationship often cause people to seek other big changes in their lives in an attempt to start over with a fresh slate. In some cases, this means that one spouse decides to move out of state, either to distance him or herself from his or her former partner or to move closer to friends and family as a support system while rebuilding his or her life. Either way, if there are children involved, this can make custody issues more complicated.

One commonly misunderstood aspect of child custody orders is what happens when one parent moves out of state. In the vast majority of cases, this has little effect on which court has jurisdiction over the custody arrangement. Texas has a statute called the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act, which outlines how the courts have to handle a custody arrangement that originated in another state.

There are several factors the courts look at when deciding which court has jurisdiction over the custody order. The first is the child's home state. The state that the child has been residing in for at least six months before any legal action was brought is considered the child's home state. This ensures that a parent cannot just move and take a child with him or her to a different state that has more favorable child custody guidelines. Another factor is where the child's connections are. This means that the courts look at where the child has been going to school, where the child's pediatrician is located and where the child's family and friends are.

Understanding court jurisdiction and what to do if your custody arrangement becomes an interstate one is easier when you get information from a knowledgeable source about what Texas law says and what your parental rights are.

Source: FindLaw, "Interstate Custody Arrangements," accessed July 17, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Client Testimonials

  1. Laura Dale the best Family Law attorney I have ever met... Posted by John...Listens, takes your calls, tells you the truth (even when it may not be what you want to hear)... Read More

  2. The Best...Posted by a Child Custody client... Laura Dale handled my international child custody and divorce matter. I am an attorney in Houston and was referred to her... Read More

  3. A Meticulous, Knowledgeable, Attorney with Heart...Posted by a Child Custody client... Laura was not the first attorney that my husband and I interviewed for an extremely complex... Read More

  4. Top Notch, Hands Down - The Best...Posted by Tammi, a Child Custody client... Laura Dale has been absolutely the best attorney I could have found for my difficult child custody... Read More

Contact Our Experienced Team Today | Se habla español | Nous parlons français

Due to the experience our lawyers have in many specialized areas, you can rely on us to put together the right team to handle your case, even if it centers on complex issues such as international family law, business valuation or bankruptcy. Contact us today to make an appointment to discuss your needs with a knowledgeable lawyer.

Login to Client Portal

Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.
1800 Saint James Place
Suite 620
Houston, TX 77056

Toll Free: 888-572-6059
Phone: 713-574-7952
Fax: 713-600-1718
Houston Law Office Map