PLEASE NOTE: We are still open and operational! To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options. click here for Covid 19 updates
Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.

What happens if the non-custodial parent takes your child?

As a custodial parent, you have various rights and responsibilities. When the non-custodial parent is uncooperative with the terms of your custody and visitation arrangement, it can make things extremely complicated. This is especially true when there is the possibility of parental abduction.

Parental abduction means the non-custodial parent takes the child without permission or refuses to return the child after a designated visitation time. This is a serious legal matter, and you have the right to fight for the safe return of your child and the restoration of your parental rights. The law provides you with ways to get your child back after a parental abduction.

Answers to your important questions

You may have various concerns and questions regarding parental abduction and your legal options. It is beneficial for you to learn about how to protect your interest and what to do if you fear that the other parent has taken or will attempt to take your child. Some of these questions could include:

  • What happens if my child is facing physical harm? When it comes to cases involving kidnapping or the threat of domestic violence, the assistance of law enforcement is necessary.
  • Can I change custody orders? After a parental abduction, it may be necessary to seek an adjustment of custody orders, perhaps a termination of visitation rights for the non-custodial parent.
  • What happens if the other parent goes to another country? If the other parent crosses international boundaries, there are ways to enforce your rights and compel the safe return of your child.
  • How can I enforce custody orders? If the non-custodial parent refuses to cooperate with the terms of your custody order, you can seek a legal remedy for custody enforcement or a modification to your order.

It is essential to understand and protect your custody rights. 

Shielding your child from harm

As a parent, there is nothing more important than shielding your child from harm. Custody matters are difficult and often emotionally charged issues, but as a parent, you are entitled to a custody plan that protects your child and your parental rights.

If you suspect the other parent could attempt an abduction or you simply want to know how to reduce the chance of a serious problem, you will find it helpful to seek a full evaluation of your case.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Board Certified
  • IAFL
  • Super Lawyers 2019
  • Best Lawyers
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Best Law Firms Badge
  • Laura Dale
  • Texas Bar Today Top Ten Badge

Contact Our Experienced Team Today

Se Habla Español | Nous Parlons Français

Due to the experience our lawyers have in many specialized areas, you can rely on us to put together the right team to handle your case, even if it centers on complex issues such as international family law, business valuation or bankruptcy. Contact us today to make an appointment to discuss your needs with a knowledgeable lawyer.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.
email us for a response

1800 Saint James Place
Suite 620
Houston, TX 77056

Phone: 713-574-7952
Fax: 713-600-1718
Houston Law Office Map

Review Us