PLEASE NOTE: We are still open and operational! To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options. click here for Covid 19 updates
Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.

Understanding the basics of alimony

Many Texas couples who are considering divorcing have questions about alimony. Alimony, or spousal support, isn't automatic or ordered by the court system in every case. However, if your spouse requests support, and a judge decides to award it, you may have to pay for years. 

The court has the final say in how long someone may need to make payments to his or her ex-spouse. To understand how long you may have to pay alimony, you'll need to become more familiar with the different types of alimony that the courts often award.

Temporary alimony

Judges often award temporary alimony in divorce cases that are still in progress. Once the court has made a final judgment, permanent spousal support payments will replace the temporary ones.

Permanent alimony

Permanent alimony is just what it sounds like. A person pays this type of alimony periodically or monthly until a judge determines an end date or:

  • The supported party remarries.
  • One or both spouses pass away
  • The supported spouse cohabitates.

Permanent alimony may also end if a significant event happens, such as the supported spouse begins a high-paying job, or the paying spouse retires.

Rehabilitative alimony

If a supported spouse is expected to become financially self-sufficient in the future, the court may award rehabilitative alimony payments. These spousal support payments can last for however long it takes for the receiving party to recover financially and become self-supporting.

As with most matters pertaining to divorce, you and your spouse may be able to reach an agreement regarding spousal support payments on your own. Otherwise, you'll need to schedule a hearing with the court, and a judge will set the terms for you. A divorce attorney may help you file a formal motion with the court.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Board Certified
  • IAFL
  • Super Lawyers 2019
  • Best Lawyers
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Avvo Client Choice 2014
  • Best Law Firms Badge
  • Laura Dale
  • Texas Bar Today Top Ten Badge

Contact Our Experienced Team Today

Se Habla Español | Nous Parlons Français

Due to the experience our lawyers have in many specialized areas, you can rely on us to put together the right team to handle your case, even if it centers on complex issues such as international family law, business valuation or bankruptcy. Contact us today to make an appointment to discuss your needs with a knowledgeable lawyer.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Laura Dale & Associates, P.C.
email us for a response

1800 Saint James Place
Suite 620
Houston, TX 77056

Phone: 713-574-7952
Fax: 713-600-1718
Houston Law Office Map

Review Us