Se Habla Español | Nous Parlons Français


You are here:

Parenting time and summer break: What you need to know

On Behalf of | Feb 9, 2021 | Blog, Child Custody

Typically, both parents will have access to their children after a separation or divorce. In some cases, it may be possible to take the kids on road trips during the summer or other extended breaks from school. However, if you want to take your son or daughter outside of Texas, you will likely need permission from the child’s other parent. It may also be necessary to obtain permission from a family court judge.

What does the parenting plan say?

The parenting plan may contain language relating to whether you can take your children on a trip outside of the state or country. It is important to note that even if the plan prohibits taking your children outside of a certain area, it may be possible to make exceptions to this rule. For example, a judge may give you permission to take a child overseas to attend the funeral of an extended family member.

Make arrangements as far in advance as possible

In Texas, noncustodial parents traditionally get up to 30 days to spend with their children each summer. Typically, visitation takes place during the month of July, but this can be changed if you provide notice to the custodial parent by the end of April. If you live more than 100 miles from your child, you may receive additional parenting time during the year.

Adhere to a judge’s orders at all times

A judge may order that you allow the child to stay in regular contact with the custodial parent while away from home. Furthermore, you may also need to send regular updates to the court to confirm that the child is safe while in your care. A child custody attorney may help you develop strategies to remain in compliance with a court order.

If you are seeking greater access to your child, it may be a good idea to consult with an attorney. Your attorney may be able to ensure that you can contact, spend time with or otherwise remain in your son or daughter’s life after a divorce or separation.