Se Habla Español | Nous Parlons Français


You are here:

Dealing with contempt cases

On Behalf of | Jan 15, 2016 | Child Custody

While many people would like to think that once the divorce papers are signed and everything is finalized, they will never have to deal with the family courts again, this is often untrue, unfortunately. The reality is that many people find themselves back before the judge to deal with the other party’s failure to uphold the terms of the court order. When this happens, it is referred to as a contempt of court hearing.

This is common in issues involving child custody or failure to pay child support, but it is also applicable to alimony and property division cases where one party has failed to turn over documents or assets. When this happens, the other party can file contempt, which brings the offending party’s actions in front of the judge.

If you are the one filing contempt, it is very important to have an accurate understanding of the laws and specific terms of your court order. You will likely have to produce some kind of evidence or documentation to show that your ex is in contempt before the courts will take action. Conversely, if you are given a summons for a contempt hearing, it’s critical to have experienced legal representation who can ensure you are aware of your options and the possible consequences of not complying with a court order.

At Laura Dale & Associates, we understand how important these types of case are. Whether you are trying to hold a noncompliant ex accountable or find yourself accused of not upholding the terms of your court order, we can help.