Se Habla Español | Nous Parlons Français


You are here:

What if your ex won’t comply with your divorce decree?

On Behalf of | Sep 16, 2022 | Divorce

Once a judge signs and passes on a divorce decree, you are free and clear under Texas family law. Your ex cannot make the same demands on you that they might have gotten away with as a spouse.

Although it will not affect your status as a newly single person, there are other ways noncompliance may affect you and perhaps even your kids. If your ex-spouse refuses to adhere to the court orders issued during your divorce, the state has ways to enforce them.

Child support enforcement

The available enforcement techniques for unpaid child support can make life hard for the parent obligated to make payments.

For example, the responsible parent may lose their driving license for failing to pay child support. If the parent holds professional licenses (hunting, nursing, etc.), they may also be at risk. The denial of a passport and placing liens against their property are two other enforcement methods.

Property division enforcement

To enforce a property settlement, you must file a “suit to enforce” with the court that handled your divorce.

You have two years from the date of your divorce decree to file such a suit. The court may reissue the original settlement order, charge your ex with contempt or select additional enforcement methods. Courts may also order your ex to pay any damages you suffered due to property division noncompliance.

Letting go of a marriage is hard enough even when both parties cooperate and comply with court orders. When one of them resists the terms of a divorce decree, it worsens the situation for everyone, even the children you share.

Fortunately, learning more about family law in Texas empowers you to turn the tables and use the law to improve your post-divorce circumstances.