Enforcement And Registration Of Interstate Child Custody

You are here:
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Children And Family Law
  4.  » 
  5. International Child Custody/Abduction
  6.  » Interstate Child Custody Enforcement And Registration

The Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA) and the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act, (UCCJEA) are two critical bodies of law that come into play when parents and children live in different states from each other or different states from where a child custody order originates. A family law attorney who will advise you regarding interstate child custody issues should be highly knowledgeable and experienced in key aspects of these laws.

‘I Have To Take A Job Out Of State. Can I Take My Kids With Me?’

Our Houston family law firm has the experience and reputation you seek if you are in need of legal counsel related to child custody issues across state borders. A family law attorney at Laura Dale & Associates, can guide you through the steps necessary to modify or domesticate a child custody order as needed if:

  • An order for possession (custody) originated in another state and one parent plus the child have moved to Texas
  • An order for possession is from another state and the parent who is not the usual conservator (with primary custody) has moved to Texas
  • An order for possession originated in Texas and one or both parents have moved or are planning to move to another state

How Can You Enforce Interstate Child Custody Enforcement And Registration?

Alternatively, you may have a proper custody order but encounter problems with enforcement. Has your child’s other parent repeatedly kept him or her away from you, out of state (whether you are in Texas or your child and the other parent live in Texas) longer than stipulated in an order? Has the other parent failed to exercise his or her share of parenting time? Whatever the difficulty, you should consult with a child custody lawyer to explore your options.

Your Child’s Best Interests And Your Parental Rights Are Our Top Priorities

Bring your questions such as, “Can my ex-spouse leave the state with my children?” to our attention for a personalized analysis. Schedule a consultation to discuss your concerns involving registration or enforcement of interstate or international custody. Learn which legal remedies can best protect your and your child’s rights. Call our Houston office at 713-574-7952 or send an email for a prompt response.

Read Our White Paper

International Family Law:
Divorce And Custody In A Global Age

Top Blog Posts